Photo: © Ufford Bridge by Rodney Burton
The Great Northern Railway opened its Stamford-Wansford branch line – known as the “bread and onion line” – in 1867, with intermediate stations at Barnack, Ufford Bridge and Wansford Bridge.
Whilst the bridges were built to accommodate a second track it was always a single line. Ufford Bridge Station – officially the smallest standard-gauge station in the British Isles – was a request stop until the 1880’s. It was principally a passenger station but two sidings on the south side of the bridge were used by local farmers.
However, passenger numbers were very low and on 29 June 1929 the last train ran and the London and North Eastern Railway closed the line. The bridge and platform survive and the track to the north of the station is now a footpath.