Most of the old stone buildings had Collyweston slate roofs, though some which were built after the mid-19th century had welsh slate roofs, following the arrival of the railway. Outbuildings were often roofed in pantiles.
Pictures: Dovecot Cottage, reputed to be the oldest cottage in the village.
Ufford Farm built in the 18th century.
Pear Trees, dating from the mid 19th century.
Ruins of dovecot at Compass Cottage showing the ledges on which the birds nested. There were also dovecots at Dovecot Cottage, Old Rectory and Newport Farm. All dated from the mid-18th century.
There is no definite Ufford building style but the character of Main Street is the result of the mix of substantial farm houses, barns, dovecots and farm labourers` cottages. Although the farms have been converted into dwellings and the cottages extended and modernised, the contemporary streetscape with its views in and out of the village, remains very attractive.
Population and Employment
For centuries, it appears that the population was about 120, though there must have been fluctuations caused by diseases and wars. The Hearth Tax in 1662 recorded a total of 39 Hearths; 10 of these were at Downhall (the Quarles` manor house, now the name of a wood close to Bainton Road). There were 12 other houses on which tax was charged. Normally a house with just one hearth in the kitchen was exempt from tax.
The first census in 1841 recorded a population of 185 and it continued to rise for the next 25 years. With mechanisation and foreign imports of grain, fewer farm labourers were needed and there was a shift of population to the towns until the second world war. The growth of population since 1945 reflects the growth of Ufford as a commuter village. Ufford`s population in 2011 was 230.
Bainton and Ashton separated from Ufford at the end of the 19th century. Ufford has had a parish council since 1965, before that it had an Annual Village Meeting.
Ufford was in the Soke of Peterborough, a north east extension of Northhamptonshire until 1965. A soke was the right to hold a law court. It was then a parish in a new county of Huntingdon and Peterborough. From 1875 Ufford and neighbouring parishes were part of Barnack Rural District Council. The 1974 Local Government Act swept this away and Peterborough became a district within Cambridgeshire. The final change came in 1998 when Peterborough achieved the status of a Unitary Authority. Ufford is one of the parishes in Barnack Ward.
Ufford lies within the parliamentary constituency of North West Cambridgeshire.