There is no evidence that there had been an earlier building on this site. Charles Manners bought the land from his mother, Lucy, Duchess of Rutland in 1741. He built a house with two floors and a basement.
Charles died in 1761 and his estate was inherited by his brother, James. He enlarged the house by adding another floor and a wing at each side. He also added the stables (Fountain Court). James died in 1791 and left his estate to his nephew, George Manners who sold it.
To be SOLD by AUCTION notice Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford Mercury
It was bought by William Leigh Symes, owner of a sugar plantation in Jamaica (and probably also a slave trader!), and then by inherited by his son, who never lived in it.
The Hall was occupied by a succession of tenants for the next hundred years and this is probably why very few changes were made. In 1902 it was bought by Malcolm Wolrych – Whitmore,a typical Edwardian gentleman. He and his wife were well liked and well respected.
When they died in the 1940s, the Hall was left to their nephew, Oliver Kitson, but it was his father, the third Lord Airedale who lived there until his death in 1958.
The fourth Lord Airedale, Oliver was Deputy Speaker in the House of Lords, also a well-known character in the village. He lived in the basement at the Hall. The rest of the house and Fountain Court were divided into flats.
Ken Blacklock bought the hall after the death of Lord Airedale in 1996, repaired the roof but it has been left empty ever since.