The first archaeological investigations in Ufford were in 2005 and 2006. They were led by Carenza Lewis and a team from Cambridge University, assisted by the expert in pottery identification, Paul Blinkhorn. It was part of the outreach work undertaken by Access Cambridge Archaeology. The actual digging was done by students from several Peterborough secondary schools. A total of 23 test pits were dug. These are 1 metre square holes, dug out in 10 centimetre layers. The soil is sieved and all man-made items are kept, recorded, labelled and bagged.
In 2007 the research continued and two trenches were dug in the garden of Ufford Farm.
With documentary evidence, surviving landscape features and old maps it is possible to trace the evolution of settlements. We have now received from Carenza their follow-up reports from 2005, 2006 and 2007. It appears that there were Roman remains in the pits at the top of the hill close to the church but so far there is no evidence of a Roman building, The Roman pottery was found close to the surface and may have originated in manure and rubbish which had been ploughed in the soil. There is evidence of Saxon and medieval settlement in the area near the church and continuous settlement ever since.
The most striking find in the garden of Ufford Farm at the northern end of the village was the remains of a stone wall, built of local stone, with a right angle bend, quite separate from and predating the existing farmhouse which was built about 1770. There was also evidence of a late Saxon ditch. There was pottery evidence from Roman, late Saxon, medieval, post medieval and Victorian activity at the Ufford Farm site and the finds near the wall suggest that the date of the building was no later than AD 1400. It appears to have been an average wealth medieval building, potentially even a manor house.
There is scope for further investigations, particularly in the vicinity of Ufford Farm and nearby Downhall.