St.Andrew’s Church, which is Grade 1-listed, stands in a prominent position looking over what would have been the old village. It is an ancient site because there was a church here in C12th, the Abbot of Peterborough giving it in 1191 as a living to Roger de Torpel and his successors.
The chancel and nave were rebuilt in the C13th/C14th and the tower and the westward extension of the nave in the C15th. The font dates from the C14th/C15th.
Among the memorials in the church the most notable is the tomb of Lady Carre dating from 1621. She had been a lady-in-waiting to Queens Elizabeth and Anne and was buried in Ufford because her sister was married to George Quarles of Ufford and the Quarles were an important local family.
There were two major refurbishments in the C19th (Rev Paley) and in the C20th (Rev W.S. Wood). Major changes included the replacement of the old rounded chancel ceiling and, in 1860, the removal of the rood screen. The latter’s stair was re-used to access a new tower built in 1883 to give access to the chancel roof. The C13th sedilia and piscina in the south wall of the chancel were uncovered during the C19th restoration.
Rev W.S.Wood donated the 6 chancel windows – designed by Mary Lowndes and made by Drury and Lowndes – to the Parish at the Christmases of 1911/12/13. These are of national importance. The seventh chancel window – designed by TF Curtis in 1910 – was a result of a bequest by Esther Hoggard in 1909. She had been the cook to the Reverends. Paley and Wood. Mrs Wood, incidentally, donated the carved oak eagle lectern which was stolen from the church in 2013.
The only old wooden furniture, apart from the C15th font cover, is the C16th poppy-head seat ends in the north aisle.
In the north side of the nave is the coat of arms of George lll and a Decalogue dated 1790 and signed by John Everard of Stamford. On the opposite wall are the coats of arms of the Dukes of Rutland. One of three good memorial tablets on the south wall is for Lord James Manners, the second Duke’s youngest son. James’ brother, Lord Charles Manners, began the construction of Ufford Hall located further north in the village.
The organ was made by Kenneth Tickell and Company of Northampton in 1987 and was the third instrument made by this notable company.
The church was closed by the Church of England in January 2011. In mid-2014 it was announced that it had been submitted by the Church Commissioners for consideration for adoption by the Churches Conservation Trust (CCT). The Trust responded positively and there was an official transfer of keys ceremony at the church on October 3, 2014. Shortly afterwards the Trust embarked on a major restoration scheme which was completed just prior to the official re-opening on 5 July 2015. The church, which remains open daily, is now the venue for a number of services as well as other activities, all organised by the Friends of St. Andrew’s Group in consultation with the Trust.